Saturday, February 21, 2015

What you think, you become.

This past week was the perfect backdrop for a time of introspective reflection.  A chance for me to get off the carousel for a little while.  I am on the mend and had no choice but to slow down and take some rest days -- a much needed break from my regular routine I've been keeping since mid December.  I had finished up an intensive and grueling workout program, Insanity Max:30...maybe you've heard of it.  Thirty minutes of going all out, finding your max out and then continuing with tabata-style conditioning.  Training this way helps me keep up with life.  I was diligent in keeping up with the schedule, afraid to miss a day and and possibly get off track which could have resulted in falling behind.  While my nutrition was less than stellar over those 60 days, not so much cause of the holidays that revolved around food, but because my life was centered around STRESS.  You know that 6 letter word that wreaks havoc on your body, mind and well being.  

I was reluctant to have to take a break but surprisingly stumbled upon a 12-day invitation to #bringingbackyoga on Instagram.  I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge because it showed me that I could ground myself and just breathe. I am guilty of getting caught up in the revolving door, and sometimes miss the subtleties of what makes life so magical.  Getting on the mat each day, allowed me to focus on just me.  With each pose required my full concentration, learning to stop and take inventory of myself, and seeing how far I can push myself physically, mentally and emotionally.  I noticed that when I do yoga, I have a chance to think.  I think about what makes me unique and how I can be my authentic self.

Everything up to this point has led me to this moment.  Part of who I am, I will admit, is someone who is sometimes concerned with what others think of me. And when I get too concerned with that, then it stops me from doing certain things.  Its scary to put put yourself out there.  Wondering how your message is gonna be received.  But with risks come rewards. While thinking is good, over-thinking can end things before they ever get the chance to develop. I am someone who works hard to be my best self, in spite of all that wears me down.

Then I realized:
I am me.
I'm who I'm meant to be.
I am my past, my present
and who I want to be.
I'm not anyone,
I am all three.
I am a work in progress, a destiny.
I am who I choose to be.
I am me.

Its OK to slow down and smell the coffee.  When was the last time you had a chance to really think?  To really get in touch with your soul?  Think about yourself, sounds selfish right?  But its not. Every day is a chance to become better than yesterday.  I had learned a new concept during my studies at Integrative Nutrition, and use this as the basis for helping my clients implement their goals after their health assessment and asking lots of questions.  The concept is called primary vs. secondary foods.  Secondary foods are the veggies, proteins, oils and other foods that we eat to create energy in our bodies.  Secondary foods provide nutrients for your body, but don't give us the joy, meaning or fulfillment that primary foods do.  Primary foods are all those things that nourish you beyond what's on your plate - our relationships, careers, physical activity, spirituality.  Think back to the first time you fell in love.  Did you stop eating as much?  You probably thought about food much less often cause your brain was preoccupied.  Having balance in other areas of your life and a healthy dose of passions and interests that feed your mind and heart is just as important for maintaining good health.  So while I continually work on balancing my primary vs. secondary foods, and sometimes it is a struggle, it has made me aware that there is more to life than just dieting and exercising.  Deepak Chopra said it best:  To make the right choices in life, you have to get in touch with your soul.  To do this, you need to experience solitude, which most people are afraid of, because you hear the truth and know the solutions."  When you are your authentic self, you fulfill the dream that lives in your soul. 

Feed your soul, fill it with your heart's desire and live your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment