Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The First Step Is The Hardest

On Saturday the 19th, my sister Annie and I ran the Seaside Sempre Five Marine Corp Charity 5K.  It was our second one together. 

This event benefits the MARSOC foundation which was established to prover benevolent support to active duty and medically retired personnel and their families of Marines and Sailors who have lost their lives in service to our Nation.


That day started out foggy then felt like 90 degrees at race time.  I had many conversations with myself during the run, should I slow down and preserve energy, just get a little further and stick with it. What I realized was that I needed to put my blinders on and just go at my own pace. It didn't matter that others were getting ahead of me. Same thing for all of us on our journey.  Keep your focus on yourself and no one else. Sure I saw people along the way and they kept me motivated but it was up to me to dig deep and get thru.
Overall, it's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit.

Here are 8 Life Lessons You Learn From Running

1. Beginning is always the hardest part. Push yourself to keep going. It gets easier.

2. Consistency creates habits, and habits create the results to want to achieve.

3. If you want to get better, pain is unavoidable. Don’t shy away from it.

4. If you don’t get out of your comfort zone, you’ll never achieve your goals.

5. People who do things better than you are your teachers, not your competition.

6. Often, thinking you can’t go on any longer is a illusion. You often can.

7. Sometimes things don’t go as planned. Accept it and move on.

8. When you’re going uphill and you want to quit, don’t. Move slower if you have to, but keep going. You will get there.

We had fun, shared a bagel and a beer and reveled in our accomplishment of finishing what we started. 

In closing, I may never finish first, will never get my name in the paper, and never finish in the top five, but I will still work my a$$ off every day to be the best runner I can possibly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment